Shoulder Pain: Causes and How Chiropractic Treatment Will Help
Your shoulder joint contains just three bones, the Clavicle (collarbone), Scapula, (shoulder blade) and Humerus (upper arm bone). Nevertheless, pain from those three bones and the ligaments, tendons, cartilage, and bursa that create the shoulder affects almost half of all Americans at some time in their lives. Your Chiropractors and their dedicated staff here at Body Basics Chiropractic in Overland Park KS understand the impact shoulder pain has on your life. Simple tasks like tooth brushing and hair combing become intensely painful, and your job performance may suffer as well.
Causes of Shoulder Pain
The shoulder is the most mobile of all joints and very susceptible to pain and dysfunction. Common causes of shoulder pain include:
- Bursitis - Bursae are fluid-filled sacs that help reduce friction in a joint. Excessive use or injury to the shoulder can lead to inflammation and swelling of these sacs.
- Frozen Shoulder - Also called adhesive capsulitis typically begins slowly with stiffness and pain in the joint then progresses to the point where the capsule thickens and every movement is painful.
- Tendinitis - Tendons attach muscle to bone. The most commonly affected tendons are the rotator cuff and the biceps tendon. Tendinitis can be acute- from excessive overhead activities for example, or chronic- like from degenerative arthritis.
- Impingement - Occurs when the top of the shoulder blade puts pressure on the underlying soft tissues when you lift your arm away from your body. The shoulder blade rubs on tendons and bursa limiting movement and causing pain.
- Rotator Cuff Injury - The rotator cuff actually covers the head of the Humerus and keeps it in the shoulder socket providing stability. An injury or tear here can easily occur over time in sports like baseball, or repetitive activities. A dull ache, weakness, and an inability to lift an object may indicate a rotator cuff injury.
- Sprains and Strains - These are two very different injuries. A sprain is damage to a ligament (connects two bones together- actually holds a joint together). A strain, on the other hand, is a tearing or stretching of a muscle or tendon (tendons attach muscles to bones).
While all of the above can be a source of pain, dull or acute, intermittent or constant, it is imperative that the correct cause of your pain be identified. Once they diagnose the source and cause of the discomfort, your chiropractors and their experienced team here at Body Basics Chiropractic in Overland Park, KS will develop a personalized treatment plan to relieve your pain and help your body return to its natural state of balanced wellness.
Schedule an Appointment With Our Local Chiropractor Today
If you are struggling with shoulder pain, call us today at (913) 685-0023. We are here to help.